Prototyping Project – Production Diary

My prototype is for a 2D platformer game where you play as a robot (Tyler) and its’ inventor (Mike). Tyler has the ability to take on properties of objects which allows him to remove obstacles from Mike’s path to the end of the level.

30/10/18

Today I worked on the character sprites, the initial level design, and the movement/switch functions. I got some basic boxes in to represent the characters, and on paper I created a sketch of how I want the level to look, and what obstacles the player may encounter. Tomorrow I will continue on the switch function.
Currently, it changes the value in the switch function, and where it is called from, but not globally, which is a major issue. The movement left and right for Tyler is effective, but I’ve been unable to test it for Mike so far.

31/10/18

Despite being ill today, I completed the implementation of the character switch function, allowing me to test the movement for Mike. The reason why it wasn’t working yesterday was that I had used a single equals sign in an if statement, where instead I needed to use 2.

01/11/18

Today I found a tile sheet map to use for my platforms that was freely available online at:
https://www.gameart2d.com/free-platformer-game-tileset.html
I also began work on the jump function for Tyler. I have got him moving up and back down again when you press the jump key, but it happens so quickly that you can’t see it, however, I still have tomorrow before his movement needs to be complete.

02/11/18

Using a branch on Github, I restarted work on the jump function for the robot today. I mostly scrapped what I did in terms of physics yesterday, and started over through implementing gravity to ensure the player would fall to a platform. This meant I also had to edit the second character’s movement, but it was quick and easy to update.

04/11/18

Today I implemented my level design I had done on paper earlier in the week and I worked on collision detection for the platforms throughout the level. It’s not quite working yet, but I have planned for it to be completed it for tomorrow.

05/11/18

I got lots done today in the computer lab before my afternoon session and during it. I implemented the lava, well and exit objects. I also made it so that the lava can be turned to stone when Tyler is carrying water. I started working on the bush game bonus, but I didn’t quite get to finish it. Finally, I created a game over state for if Mike fell into lava and a game won state for if Mike reached the exit.

06/11/18

I have completed a reflective journal entry on the first week of this project, which can be found here.

I also completed the bush bonus object, so that you can water it to make it grow or burn it down using lava. Once I completed that, I created a level reader that took in an array of numbers from a file and stored them in the map and collision_map arrays to allow new levels to be loaded and played.

07/11/18

On paper I started designing a second level for the game, then I transferred it into two txt files to be read from by the game. Finally, I tweaked a few functions so that they were compatible with different level layouts, such as filling out the collision function. This needed to be done as I had only set up specific cases for the function, rather than fleshing it out completely to work for all cases.

08/11/18

In our session today we tested out each other’s prototypes, and I gained valuable feedback on my game which I will use in my write-up.